everyday life.... memories in the making



Friday, February 10, 2012

a Pinterest project - long overdue

Almost 12 years ago exactly, Joseph and I purchased 3 pieces of unfinished furniture for Samuel's nursery and Joseph painted them white.... a chest, an armoire, and a bookcase. We were so proud of them but, at the time, I didn't realize how little time baby boys are BABIES. They quickly turn into BOYS. As much as I loved the furniture pieces we purchased, the white painted finish just did not fit into a sports themed big boy room. So about 6 years ago I painted two of the pieces, the chest and the bookcase, a deep red with a black glaze finish and vowed that I soon would tackle the armoire. Fast forward to 2012 & the armoire was still white. Well, a couple of weeks ago Samuel decided that he didn't want bunk beds in his room anymore, as he is about to be 12 years old and bunk beds just aren't 'cool'. I started thinking of a solution and it hit me that the bunk beds would be much better in John Michael's room anyway because his room is somewhat smaller than Samuel's room. John Michael had an antique bedroom suite that belonged to my mother and consists of a full-size bed, a chest of drawers, and a desk. Lightbulb moment... switch the furniture! Samuel loved the idea of a full size bed and a desk and JM was overjoyed at the idea of having bunk beds. If you know me at all you know that once I decide I want something done, I want it done yesterday! So about 8:00 on a Thursday night we started the switch and you know how that goes. One project turns into about 15.... cleaning out toy boxes, closets, drawers, getting rid of STUFF (Junk), and on and on. We get the furniture moved, beds put back together, drawers back into chests and overall I'm pretty pleased with everything but the WHITE armoire which is now the only thing you see when you look down the hallway into John Michael's bedroom. Not working for me! So out come the clothes from the drawers (5 minutes after I put them in) and the armoire goes to the garage for the overhaul. I had pinned a tutorial on Pinterest of a Pottery Barn black, distressed finished that I just love.

Not the best quality pictures, I know, but I was pretty pleased with the outcome. Both boys bedrooms now seem bigger with the more appropriately sized furniture. Both rooms are easier to keep in order now that about 5 garbage bags of junk (I mean stuff) is at the Thrift Store rather than in our house. They love their rooms! I should have taken overall pictures but will have to do that later. Project complete!

No comments: