everyday life.... memories in the making



Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Read Harry Potter.... Who ME?

A while back I saw somewhere that over 40% of Americans didn't read an entire book cover to cover last year. I couldn't believe it! But, when thinking back (especially to last year, being pregnant and all) I'm not sure that I read a book COVER TO COVER. I always have books that I am reading, usually motivational, spiritual, or self-help types of books, and I read a chapter here and there. And I probably read dozens of children's books with Samuel, but does that count? Anyway, I decided to do much better this year. I started out with "90 Minutes in Heaven" which I enjoyed. This past weekend I spent some time with my sister who teaches third grade and is an avid reader. She and her husband read all the time! She mentioned that she has been reading the Harry Potter books to her class this year and she loves them herself. So we were browsing through books at B&N (which I could spend hours doing) and I came across the Harry Potter series and decided to buy the first book of the series, thinking if nothing else Joseph could read it with Samuel over the summer. I started reading it and haven't been able to put it down! I surprised myself! But if you look at all of the awards the book was given it isn't surprising at all I guess. Anyway, you might be surprised too!

2 comments:

Mommy of Boys said...

Brad has all of them if you'd like to borrow them. He started on book 5, I think, and loved it. He read six and then went back and read 1-7 back to back. He loved it!

Regina said...

I am really enjoying the first one. I was shocked! I didn't thing I would even understand, let alone enjoy, the books.